October 7, 2020
The flu season is rapidly approaching. With the current COVID-19 pandemic, it is more important than ever to stay healthy during this cold and flu season.
You may have heard that the flu shot can make you sick. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the vaccine does not cause illness, while the flu shot can spare you from falling seriously ill and will help to support your immune system to stay healthy.
If you have a pre-existing health condition such as an autoimmune disorder, diabetes, cardiac or pulmonary diseases it is even more important to get a flu shot.
The CDC estimates the 2019-2020 flu season had 38 million cases of influenza as well as 18 million medical visits, 400,000 hospitalizations, and 22,000 deaths related to the flu.
As you may know influenza “the flu” is a contagious respiratory illness that comes on suddenly with symptoms such as fever, chills, cough, and muscle aches. Most people recover within two weeks, but some people develop major respiratory problems, as well as sinus and ear infections.
Besides a flu shot the best way to stay healthy is to:
· Avoid close contact with people who are ill
· Clean and disinfect all surfaces that are used frequently
· Wash your hands regularly
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
· Practice an overall healthy lifestyle by getting plenty of sleep, regular exercise, managing stress, drink plenty of water, and eat lots of fruits and veggies.
Stay healthy and hopefully 2021 will be a better year for everyone!